Cold turkey
The saddest part about going cold turkey when it comes to milk in a bottle is that we're the ones that knows what's going on. I've tried many times to not give my son milk in a bottle, but I give up after 5 minutes.
So, today, I decided... HEY, let's try no bottles when he asks for it next time. It's just horrifying watching your own child, cry and beg for a bottle. He's not sure why he's not being allowed a bottle. He cried for 30 minutes, his throat sore; nose runny and his tears just continously running down his cheeks. I watched him get angry, confuse, upset all at the same time. He took my hand many times and begged me to go get him a bottle. It was heartbreaking.
We make these decisions because it's best for them, but really, is it?
Just because a mother got her child off the bottle before 1 doesn't mean EVERY kid has to be off by then. Why must we follow one another? Why must we all try to compete with one another?
After 30 minutes, I gave in. I just tortured my innocent child.
Try again? I don't know...
So, today, I decided... HEY, let's try no bottles when he asks for it next time. It's just horrifying watching your own child, cry and beg for a bottle. He's not sure why he's not being allowed a bottle. He cried for 30 minutes, his throat sore; nose runny and his tears just continously running down his cheeks. I watched him get angry, confuse, upset all at the same time. He took my hand many times and begged me to go get him a bottle. It was heartbreaking.
We make these decisions because it's best for them, but really, is it?
Just because a mother got her child off the bottle before 1 doesn't mean EVERY kid has to be off by then. Why must we follow one another? Why must we all try to compete with one another?
After 30 minutes, I gave in. I just tortured my innocent child.
Try again? I don't know...

yknow...i personally think it's up to the mom with the whole bottle thing. i think some mothers are just soo scared of teeth rotting and ear infections and there are some that are just wanting their child to grow up (competition). i've seen my nephew's teeth rot in front of my eyes and heck i am scared for sam because his parents spent an arm and a leg at the dentist just capping his teeth. that's why i'm soo scared for sam and try to not give it as much, but i wouldn't wanna go cold turkey...it's convinient when it's needed and just do the sippy cup when he doesn't really care. **HUGS. i hope you are feeling better momma!
ReplyDeleteof course all moms are gonna worry about teeth rotting, but if josh doesn't npua mij then...you shouldn't have much to worry about. i was a control/worry freak too until sam started doing stuff that i didn't think he could handle, so...i'm a bit laid back now. but who cares what others are going to think...as long as my child is comfortable and happy AND it's not gonna harm him in any way shape of form, he is fine in my eyes, because he's my child. heck, it's not like you're feeding him hamburgers and french fries everyday, so you ain't got nothing to worry about.
ReplyDeleteevery child is different, a stranger obviously doesn't know how your child is and neither will you know how their child is either so...one way or another, we do what we can for the best interest of our child. and i know you're doing a great job. :) *hugs.
sam loves elmo. we got it for 16 bucks at target when the original price was $60. it's still listed at 60 bucks at walmart, so try target! :)
yes...he's one naughty little boy! lol.
It will get better - we have not tired it with Kegan yet - but soon. Waiting for a few more months but we are introducing him to a cup and the sippy cup. So far he seems to like it. Slow and steady I suppose. I know a few parents who have their child off the bottle after being 1 and it is hard because you figure they are going through the transition phase of going to whole milk and now getting their bottles taken away. I figure get them use to one thing at a time - otherwise they lose that sense of security. Keep at it and it will get easier and better in time. Good luck! Keep us posted.
ReplyDelete