Happy 5th Birthday to Big Brother, Josh!

My first baby turned 5 on Sunday, July 21st.  
We had originally plan on having a small celebration, just the 4 of us, but decided that this birthday called for a bigger celebration, so we sent a last minute invite to our family. 

Lunch and cake. Josh was ecstatic to be getting a Thomas the Tank Engine cake and was pretty pleased that Cub was able to take our request at the last minute. We ordered it on Saturday.                                                                                                 The morning of his birthday, while we were having breakfast, I asked Josh who's birthday it was.  He answered that it was his.  I asked, "how old are you today?" to which he responded, "five" and then said, "I don't want to be 5. I am 4."  I told him that he wouldn't get the cake if he was only 4, so he ask, "I'll only get the cake if I am 5?" LMAO.  I laughed, "yes". This was such a cute moment.  We had a great intimate celebration. Nothing too big. We ordered in lunch, had cake and enjoyed each other's company while Josh played with his cousins.
Big brother Josh. When Josh came to visit us at the hospital, he showed no interest in his little brother. When we came home on Wednesday, he was still very reserved. The only time he showed interest was when Owen cried.  When that happened, he would walk over to Owen and try to calm him down, then he would come over to us and whisper that baby is crying.                   It took a couple of days for Josh to get closer to Owen.  He started off by putting his face up to Owen's or he would "pet" his belly.  Everytime we asked him if he wanted to hold his brother, he would decline.                                                                               Then on Monday, a week later, Josh asked to hold Owen.  I couldn't pass up a photo opportunity! He's coming around slowly and I cannot wait to see more interaction between the two.  As of right now, my only concern with Josh is that he doesn't know how own strength and sometimes is a bit rough when touching Owen. It'll be a work in progress with lots of reminders. 

                                                                                              Below is a picture of Owen and Josh wearing the same onsie. I thought it would be fun to do a side by side shot of the two. :)  Little brother is getting all of Josh's baby clothes.  I'm sure that I'll be posting more side by side shots!    

Comments

Popular Posts